Monday, July 9, 2012

5th anniversary reflections

Saturday was our 5th wedding anniversary (7/7/07!) and May 23rd was the 5th anniversary of Dad's passing. I've been thinking about that time and what I expected to happen in five years at that time... and what has or hasn't happened. While we were planning the wedding, we were also planning to renew our vows at our five-year reunion. That's not happening... maybe at our ten-year, or even seven, given the date. ;)
We had hoped, originally, to have our wedding at Robert Allerton Park near Monticello, IL in the Sunken Garden. It's gorgeous... perfect... popular and EXPENSIVE! So, that didn't work out. We gave some thought to doing it for the vow renewal, but we're not much better off financially than we were to begin with, and we didn't plan for it, so ... yeah. Not happening. Our other thought, to save money & what-not... was to just flash-bomb the place! Maybe we could get everyone to make small donation as a gift & they wouldn't be too mad at us. ;)
Well, we found a deal to get reservations at the fancy Chateau next weekend with dinner & breakfast included. So, that's going to be our celebration.
I had wondered where we would be in five years. What kind of home? Before my dad passed away, we wondered if we'd be able to afford to buy a house after five years or not. We were able to buy just over one year after our wedding with my inheritance. Though, we had to take out a mortgage to pay the taxes on the inheritance!
We wondered if we'd have kids yet, one, two or three? Boy(s), girl(s) or a combination? Now, we're here & have a 2.5yr old daughter & another baby on the way! :)
What jobs would we have? Paul had just started as a temp worker through an agency at State Farm. I was working at Walgreens & Heartland Comm. College library & taking courses at Heartland. Our original plan was for Paul to work full time to support us while I worked part-time & took my courses to get my teaching certificate, then I would get a teaching job & support us while Paul went back to school to get his teaching certificate.
Well, after how long it took to settle my dad's estate, I'd lost my job at Walgreens. As time went on, I was not interested in dealing with all the red tape & parents that come along with teaching. I didn't know what to do. Paul got hired on directly at State Farm & discovered that it really was a good job w/benefits to have. I got a new position at the college working in disability support. I soon was working with their new program from adults with intellectual/developmental disabilities. I really loved it. We got pregnant with Amber.
After she came along, I went back to work, but was all out of sync with what was going on with the program after being gone for so long. With budget cuts all around, my boss decided my hours would be cut... knowing that meant I'd have to go because we already weren't breaking even with the child care. So, I became a stay-at-home mom. I started working very part time (just a few hours a week) for a friend of mine who's disabled & needs helpers. I also started babysitting Jamie this last year. Paul got a new position that was a great promotion, so we decided we could afford number two. Now, we're expecting again. :) My pregnancy symptoms made it too difficult for me to keep up with helping my friend & Jamie didn't need much babysitting over the summer.
So, that's where we are now. Not exactly what we expected, but still good. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment